About The List
Below is a list of history-oriented organizations in Lancaster County. If you are a staff member or authorized representative of an organization that is not included in the list below and you would like to be, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com to be added to this list.
The oldest still-standing European dwelling place in what is now Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and the oldest still-standing Mennonite meeting house in the Western Hemisphere.
Collects, analyzes, interprets, and preserves essential facts and materials related to the life of African Americans in historic and contemporary communities in South Central Pennsylvania.
A program of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. Learn more about local African history and the Underground Railroad through artifacts and an interactive spiritual experience.
The Oldest existing structure built for Methodist use in Pennsylvania.
The Christiana Historical Society, formed and chartered in 2000, exists to promote and preserve the historic context of our community.
Society dedicated to discovering, gathering, and preserving materials and data relative to the heritage of the community known as the Cocalico Valley. The Cocalico Valley is defined as the Townships of East & West Cocalico, Clay, Ephrata, West Earl and a portion of Earl. This includes the Boroughs of Akron, Adamstown, Denver & Ephrata, Pennsylvania.
Serving the Penn Manor Area: Conestoga, Manor, Martic, Pequea Townships and Millersville Burough.
The Conestoga Area Historical Society
Displays the work of Charles Demuth, maintins his home as a museum and art gallery, and preserves the adjacent 18th century buildilngs that belonged to the Demuth family for five generations.
Promotes the collection and preservation of the history of the Scots-Irish who founded the Donegal Presbyterian Church.
The Donegal Society
The purpose of the society is to preserve memorabilia from East Petersburg's past and to make it available for the education of residents of the community.
The Edward Hand Medical Heritage Foundation preserves the rich heritage of the healing arts with special attention given to Lancaster County. The Foundation's collection has grown to over 10,000 artifacts, including books, photographs, and medical instruments. The staff has carefully cataloged the collection, which may be viewed online in 3-D through the virtual museum.
One of America's earliest religious communities, the Ephrata Cloister was founded in 1732. The National Historic Landmark is open for tours, special programs, and ongoing research opportunities.
Founded in 1863 as the Historical Society of the German Reformed Church, the Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society was formed in 1934 when the Reformed Church in the United States merged with the Evangelical Synod of North America.
One of the few banks still preserved in its original setting in the United States, and one of the most signifigant historic sites in Columbia.
Organizes, preserves, and promotes the visual and written record of the college and the digital and special collections of the library.
Birthplace of Prof. Samuel Steman Haldeman. The architecture is vernacular German combined with Federal elements.
A state and federally registered non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and prtoecting Lancaster County's historic and architectural character through education, advocacy, and direct action.
An outgrowth of a committee which gathered information for the writing and publication of The History of Salisbury Township.
The LCDP is a county-wide consortium of cultural institutions interested in digitizing Lancaster county newspaper and manuscript collections.
Preserves and interprets the culture and context of Mennonite-related faith communities connected to Lancaster County.
A living history village and farm that collects, preserves, and interprets the history and material culture of the Pennsylvania German rural community from 1740 to 1940.
A federated system with 14 member libraries, three branches, and a bookmobile, which serves over 500,000 residents.
A non-profit organiation which includes the Lititz Museum and the Johannes Mueller house.
Dedicated to preserving landmarks that characterize the borough of Manheim and surrounding areas, as well as collecting local historical artifacts.
Located inside the Old Town Hall and displays artifacts and memorabilia from early Marietta, such as the first Marietta fire engine from 1840.
Features a remarkably preserved water-powered grain mill and adjacent 1855 miller's house, home to three generations of Resslers.
Dedicated to collecting artifacts, and amassing, sharing, and recording data pertaining to the history of Maiytown and East Donegal Township.
A regional repository for historic documents and records in four areas: the University Archives, the Manuscript Collection, the Local History and Culture Collection and the Rare Book Collection.
MU Archives & Special Collections
Chartered to assure the future of historical records and artifacts in the Mount Joy area.
Specializes in reference serves and covers all aspects of horology. This collection features more than 30,000 books ranging from over 450 years old to contempoary materials.
Library & Research Center
Collection features models from the 1800s to the present. Research library includes 1,500 research books, instruction books, repair guides, and parts lists.
Houses hundreds of musical instruments form 1620 to present day, as well as photographs from the 1800s, original unifroms, music, and equipment. Visits made by appointment.
New Holland Band Museum
Gathers, organizes, and preserves information and artifacts that give insight to understanding the life and times of the New Holland area.
Inspires curiosity, discovery, and a lifelong appreciation of nature, science, and cultures through educational exhibits, collections, and programs.
Houses one of the most significant collections of historic railroad artifacts in the world. Devoted to preserving and interpreting the broad impact of railroad development on society.
The preserved 18th-century home of Gereal Edward Hand who served as Adjutant General to George Washington during hte American Revolution.
Celebrates local history in Southern Lancaster County, from pre-Colonial to 20th Century. Located at the Robert Fulton birthplace.
Preserves, collects, and interprets the history of Strasburg. Invenotry includes postcards, pictures, furniture, artifacts, documents, and three historic buildings.
Seeks to preserve local history by engaging community support, developing educational experiences, and acquiring artifacts, texts, and documents of historical value.
An integral part of the academic life at Elizabethtown College. Its mission is to foster and promote the scholarly study of Anabaptist and Pietist groups.
Offers custom tours of the places that gave rise to the Undergound Railroad movmenet in Lancaster County and Southeastern Pennsylvania.