Call number: MG-153
1 box 12 folders .2 cubic ft.
Repository: LancasterHistory.org (Organization); PV7
Shelving Location: Archives South, Side 4
Description: The collection contains advertising and promotional materials for a wide variety of businesses and organizations. Included are items from manufacturing, department and clothing stores, entertainment, grocery stores, restaurants, service providers, and clubs. Of special interest is the use of both English and German in a brochure from the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co., as well as in the soap-making directions from the Pennsylvania Salt Co. Also, a 1921 program from Lancaster’s Colonial Theatre and boxing programs listing Leo Houck.
Creator: LancasterHistory.org (Lancaster, Pa.)
System of Arrangement: Organized by subject.
Conditions for Access: No restrictions.
Conditions Governing Reproductions: Collection may not be photocopied. Please contact Research Staff or Archives Staff with questions.
Language: English, German
Source of Acquisition: Unknown unless otherwise noted at the item level.
Folder 1 Commercial Items
Insert 1 1. Flier advertising a patent handle attachment, sold at Musselman & Slaymaker.
2. Flier advertising a meat and vegetable slicer, sold by R. M. Slaymaker.
3. Steinman Hardware advertisement with depiction of the store, Lancaster County map on reverse side.
4. Flier for feather bed and hair mattress renovator by Gardner and Craver, printed by Express Steam Printers.
Insert 2 1. Card offering Pequea Lime for sale, by John W. Martin. 1862.
2. Card offering slate for sale by the Peach-Bottom Slate Mining Company, J. T. Jackson, Manager.
3. Currency-type flier advertising Harrison Brothers & Co.’s paint, for sale by A. C. Kepler.
4. Memo book, compliments of the Lancaster Chemical Co. “Manufacturers of high grade animal bone fertilizers.” Includes chemical analysis of their products and lists of company officers and directors.
5. Directions, in English and German, for making several types of soap and softening water using the Pennsylvania Salt Company’s Keystone State Saponifier/Concentrated Lye Co. in East Tarentum, Allegheny Co., Pa.
Insert 3 “Building of drop center wagons made easy,” by the use of Lynch Drop Center Fifth Wheel and Gear Connections. List of parts and drawing of wagon. Photograph of cover by Charles O. Lynch. Bausman, Pa. No date. Gift of Charles O. Lynch, 1958, transferred from Objects Collection accession no. 1958.005.
Folder 2 Department and Clothing Stores
Insert 1 1. Flier from Hershey & Groff, New Holland, Pa. advertising dry goods, notions, groceries, boots, shoes and tailoring. Flier printed by the Clarion Steam Printing House, New Holland, Pa. 1 October 1883.
2. Flier from Hershey & Groff, New Holland, Pa. announcing the beginning of their second year “today,” and advising that they will continue to use the cash system. Flier printed by the Clarion Steam Printing House, New Holland, Pa. 1 March 1884.
Insert 2 1. Business card from Trout & Shank, Manufacturers of shirts, 22 North Queen St., Lancaster.
2. Promotional memo book from Trivers Clothes, 24 N. Queen St., Lancaster. 1921 calendar inside and list of other Trivers’ locations. Depiction of their N.Y. store.
3. Facsimile of the Declaration of Independence as a centennial memorial, 1776-1876, compliments of John D. Skiles, Dry Goods & Clothing, 25 East King Street, Lancaster. Printed by the Columbian Printing Co., 116 Nassau St., N.Y.
Insert 3 1. Card listing the shops at Place Marie, 52 North Queen St. Depiction of building. (2 copies)
2. Postcard from the Lancaster Country Store promoting their mid-summer sale. Store in Brownstown, Pa. Mill and bridge depicted on front of card along with map showing store location.
Insert 4 Sayres, Schied & Sweeton store materials, located at 28-30 East King St. Jere Bortzfield, Owner.
1. Letter announcing January 18, quitting business sale.
2. Letter announcing January 25, “More Price Reductions.”
3. Letter announcing February 1, discounts.
4. Letter announcing February 8, further discounts.
5. Letter announcing February 15, repeat discounts.
6. Letter announcing February 22, 1/2 off sale.
7. Letter announcing March 8, 1/2 to 75% off and bonus prize points.
8. Letter announcing March 16, forced reductions and bonus prize points.
9. Letter announcing March 22, final 75% off, special bonus prizes.
10. Contest sheet with rules, points and prizes.
11. Sales slip.
Folder 3 Entertainment
Insert 1 Official boxing program, published by J. R. Miller. Lists boxing events at various clubs for the week of March 22-27, 1909. Program includes many advertisements. March program includes Leo Houck.
Insert 2 Official boxing program, published by J. R. Miller. Lists boxing events at various clubs for the week of November 22-25, 1909. Program includes many advertisements. November 25, 1909 program includes Leo Houck.
Insert 3 Official boxing program, published by J. R. Miller. Lists boxing events at various clubs for the week of April 25-30, 1910. Program includes many advertisements. April 30, 1910 program includes Leo Houck.
Insert 4 Program from the Colonial Theatre, Lancaster, for the week of May 16, 1921. Lists program for the week. Also contains a number of commercial advertisements.
Insert 5 1. Invitation to a dinner program of the Lancaster Advertisers’ Club on May 15. Includes short biography of the featured speaker, General Smedley D. Butler, U.S.M.C. Program title is “China and what the U.S. Marines did to and for and about China.”
2. Card reminder to place reservation for the Lancaster Advertisers’ Club May 15 Dinner Program featuring General Smedley D. Butler.
3. Reservation reply postcard for the May 15 Dinner Program of the Lancaster Advertisers’ Club featuring General Smedley D. Butler.
Insert 6 Promotional brochure of “Landis: the National Escape Artist and Magician.” 617 N. Shippen St., Lancaster. Shows thirteen photographs of escape and magic scenes from his act.
Folder 4 Groceries
Mailed flier from A & P Super Markets listing the prices of various items. Also gives location of three Lancaster-area stores. 12 September 1956.
Insert 1 1. Label from Fink’s Baked Products, Annville, Pa.
2. Promotional flier from the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co., 114 North Queen St., Lancaster. One side in English, reverse in German.
3. Advertising flier announcing the grand opening of the A. F. Huber Food Store in Hamilton Park Area of Lancaster.
Folder 5 Household Goods-Miscellaneous
1. Advertising brochure from L. B. Herr, Bookseller and Stationer, 51-53 North Queen St., Lancaster. Lists books for sale with prices and some summaries. Spring 1905.
2. Promotional label from Stack’s, 450 W. Walnut St., Lancaster. Mentions framing, art reproduction, prints and paintings.
3. “Season 1895” pamphlet from Heinitsh’s, 27-29 South Queen St., Lancaster, to promote furniture sales.
4. Mailing brochure from P. B. Kelly, Tinsmith, 2389 New Holland Pike, Lancaster. Lists tin cutters and prices, also shows some cutter patterns.
5. Brochure from Mill Bridge Village, Strasburg, Pa. advertising various handcrafted products made by local artisans. Contains color photos of the item, some of the artisans, and the John Herr Mill. 1986.
Folder 6 Miscellaneous
Insert 1 1. Letter from Lancaster Outdoor Advertising Co., signed by Paul C. Yecker, to Willis Rohrer reducing his ground rents due to war-related business changes. 18 September 1942.
2. Promotional brochure from the Lancaster Bar Association. Contains career highlights of a number of attorneys and drawings of six of them. Lists services provided by association attorneys. 1987.
Insert 2 Brochure promoting “The Province” condominiums to be created in the Lorillard-Levy warehouse complex on South Prince St. in Lancaster. Contains a brief history of the complex, building drawings, condo layout with features. Includes development plan presentation program. Developer Richard J. Tobias II. 1985.
Insert 3 1. Promotional brochure for Lancaster County Heritage Magazine, published quarterly. Peggy Sheets Manning, editor.
2. Business card from the Downtown Visitor Center, 20 East Chestnut St., Lancaster. Marge Sterr, Manager.
Insert 4 1. Letter from Kelly Cadillac, signed by Ray Schuneman, General Manager, announcing a special promotion.
2. Promotional coupon from Kelly Cadillac, 1986 State Rd., Lancaster.
3. Booklet, “Ten Commandments of Safe-and-Save Driving,” promoting Ed Stumpf’s Service Stations’ two locations.
Insert 5 1. Kunkel’s Dream Book, from Kunkel & Bro., Philadelphia. Yellow cover. Contains advertisements for the firm’s medical preparations. Details diseases, etc. cured.
2. Kunkel’s Dream Book, from Kunkel & Bro. Philadelphia. Orange cover. Contains advertisements for the firm’s medical preparations. Details diseases, etc. cured.
Insert 6 One page of advertising pamphlet for Pacquin’s Dentist’s and Physician’s Hand Cream. Sold by Gates Dental Company, Inc., Woolworth Building, Lancaster.  Gift of the Historical Society of Frederick County, Inc. (Md.), 1 May 2009.
Insert 7 Dr. Raub’s Egg White Soap, distributed by Charles F. Miller, Lancaster. Advertisement for the soap, a copy of the picture “suitable for framing” and a sample. [Sunday Magazine.] No date. Picture copyright, 1897. Gift of Clint Correll, August 2006.
Folder 7 Restaurants
1. Trading card from Big Boy Family Restaurants. Biographical information on Betsy Ross. 1975.
2. Promotional card from the Lancaster Dispensing Co., a Victorian pub. Brief history of the building. Area map. Drawing of building.
3. Promotional card from the Stockyard Inn, 1147 Lititz Ave., Lancaster. Location map. Drawing of building.
Folder 8 Services
Insert 1 1. Promotional card for the Boston Insurance Co. Engle & Hambright, Lancaster, agents.
2. Promotional card for the Insurance Company of North America (Philadelphia), Engle & Hambright, agents.
3. “ABC” booklet for children with verses and drawings from the Metropolitan Life Insurance Co.
4. “Health Heroes” booklet presents the life and career of Edward Jenner, developer of small pox vaccine, from the Metropolitan Life Insurance Co.
Insert 2 1. Promotional brochure from Russo Answer-Phone Service, 109 South Duke St., Lancaster. Explains services offered.
2. Promotional flier from Aunt Betty’s Playhouse explaining daycare services offered, 108 W. King St., Lancaster. 1949.
Insert 3 1. Blotter advertising E. H. Gochnauer & Sons, Rohrerstown, Pa. Repairs, alterations, new construction.
2. Blotter advertising Lakeland Stabling Co., 153 North Queen St., Lancaster. “The leading livery.”
Insert 4 Advertisement from Clipper Magazine for Lime Spring Farm, 2452 Marietta Avenue, Lancaster. Special event venue with full service catering. The family homestead of Sarah Ann Stauffer. 2009.
Folder 9 Advertisements from a Columbia Directory
Andrew J. Musser, first-class furniture. 271 Locust St., Columbia; W. Herman T. Frueauff, agent for Glitsch’s Imperial Russian Mustard; Henry Suydam, grocer. 201 South Front St., Columbia; George Bogle, proprietor of Columbia Flour Mills; Columbia Herald Job Printing Office. Transferred from the Columbia Information File.
Folder 10 Insert from The Sunday News with Christmas Carols and advertisements for local businesses. 10 December 1939. Please use photocopy. Gift of Gary Hawbaker.
Folder 11 Booklet for Moderne Manor showcase home in Grandview Heights listing vendors, contractors and the prices of furnishings in each room. Architect was Melvern R. Evans. No date. Gift of Jay M. Eberly, 13 April 2009.
Folder 12 Cope Bros. advertising. Map of Lancaster County with ribald and silly images depicting the names of municipalities. ca. 1950s. Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Lynn A. and Marjorie A. Smith, 17 March 2015.