Beam: Jacob N. Beam Collection

Call Number: MG-224

2 boxes     26 folders     1 cubic ft.

Repository: LancasterHistory.org (Lancaster, Pa.)

Shelving Location: Archives South, Side 5

 

Description: This collection contains information and materials relevant to Dr. Jacob N. Beam’s research and writing on the history of the Leacock Presbyterian Church, which he presented in the church’s bicentennial address in 1940. Materials in this collection include letters and correspondences, family histories, military and land records, and other publications, as well as copies of drafts and final publication of the bicentennial address.

 

Creator: Beam, Jacob Newton, 1869-1954.

Conditions for Access: No restrictions.

Conditions Governing Reproductions: Collection may not be photocopied. Please contact Research Staff or Archives Staff with questions.

Language: English

Source of Acquisition: Source unknown.

Administrative History: Processed and finding aid prepared by KV, Fall 2013.

 

Box 1

Folder 1 Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address

Contain a hardcover copy of the Bicentennial Address delivered at the two-hundredth anniversary of the Leacock Presbyterian Church in Paradise, PA, published by the Lancaster Press. The book was edited by Jay Warren Kaufman and include the “History of the Leacock Presbyterian Church” by said editor, “the Oldest Families and American Revolution” by Jacob N. Beam, “Reminiscences” by Victor S. Beam, and two photographs of the Old Leacock Church and Paradise Church.

 

Folder 2 Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address (Proof)

Contains a 14-page proof of the Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address from the Lancaster Press. The proof includes title pages, a preface by Jay Warren Kaufman, “the Oldest Families and American Revolution” by Jacob N. Beam, and corrections notes.

 

Folder 3 Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address Early Draft 1

Contains 94-pages of an early draft of the Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address. The draft include both typed and hand-written pages as well as correction notes.

Note: Some pages are only half-pages and some are torn at the top and/or bottom.

 

Folder 4 Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address Early Draft 2

Contains 86-pages of another early draft of the Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address. There is also include a hand written notes of the word count for each page.

 

Folder 5 Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address Early Draft 3

Contains 54-pages of another early draft of the Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address. This draft also contains minor edits as well as a few footnotes.

 

Folder 6 Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address Early Draft 4

Contains 105-pages of another early draft of the Leacock Presbyterian Church Bicentennial Address, subdivided into 6 parts contained in 6 inserts.

Insert 1 Part I of early draft has 6 typed pages with edit and correction notes.

Insert 2 Part II of early draft has 10 typed pages with corrections and notes inserted on page 8.

Insert 3 Part III of early draft has 7 typed pages with edits and correction.

Insert 4 Part IV of early draft has 8 typed pages and 7 pages of handwritten notes inserted.

Insert 5 Part V of early draft has 14 typed pages with edits and corrections.

Insert 6 Part VI of early draft has 69 typed pages and 3 pages of handwritten notes inserted.

 

Folder 7 Correspondence

Contains correspondence of Jacob N. Beam to various individuals and groups concerning the Leacock Presbyterian Church.

Insert 1 Include 21 letters of correspondence from Rev. Jay Warren Kaufman concerning the research and publications of the Bicentennial Address, in which Pastor Kaufman also contributed a written history of the Church and edited the book.

Insert 2 Include 5 letters of correspondence from Rev. William B. Buyers, pastor of the Donegal Presbyterian Church, regarding possible information of members of the Leacock Church. Also included are the newspaper clipping and program of the Donegal Church Pageant in 1940.

Insert 3 Contains 5 letters of correspondence from Rev. Robert L. Clark, Jr., of the First Presbyterian Church in McKeeport, PA., regarding the work of his father, Robert L. Clark, Sr., on the history of the Leacock Presbyterian Church and request for copies of said information.

Insert 4 Contains 5 letters of correspondence from various individuals concerning Dr. Beam’s request for information to assist his research of the Leacock Church history and genealogy of the members of the church. Two other papers include the quote/proposal of the printing cost of the Bicentennial Address by the Princeton Press and the receipt of payment for Photostats from the Presbyterian Historical Society.

 

Folder 8 Letters of Acknowledgements

Contains 23 letters of acknowledgements from various organizations, individuals, and schools for the receipt of a copy of the Bicentennial Address of Leacock Presbyterian Church. Such individuals and organizations include the Theological Seminary in Princeton, N.J., the Princeton University Library, the Lancaster County Historical Society, Franklin and Marshall College, the New York Public Library, the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, the Presbyterian Historical Society, Ms. Lottie M. Bausman, Mr. William B. Cooke, and Dr. Louis Faugères Bishop, Jr. among others.

 

Folder 9 Woodhull Letters

Contains 11 letters from John Woodhull to his wife Sally during August-September, 1776. John Woodhull was pastor of Leacock Church from 1770-1779 and served as Chaplain in James Crawford’s 5th battalion and John Boyd’s 7th Battalion during the Revolutionary War. These letters as well as information on John Woodhull are mentioned in Dr. Beam’s portion of the Bicentennial Address.

Note: These manuscripts are the negative copies of each original letter.

 

Folder 10 Military Records

Contains handwritten notes copied from records of the Pennsylvania State Archives.   These notes are military records of members of the Leacock Presbyterian Church who had served during the Revolutionary War.

Insert 1 Records from the PA archives, ser.5, vol. VII, p. 663, 969, and 1059.

Insert 2 Records from the PA archives, ser.5, vol. II, various pages.

 

Folder 11 Lists of Freeholders and Landholders

Contain lists of freeholders and landholders in Leacock. Also included are the Strasburg Township Assessment Roll 1780 and a list of arriving families recorded in the Lancaster Morning News on Febuary 17, 1892.

Insert 1 List of freeholders in 1758.

Insert 2 List of landholders in 1782.

 

Folder 12 Histories of the Leacock Church

Contains printed materials on the histories of the Leacock Presbyterian Church and its construction in Paradise, PA. These materials include programs for the 175th and bicentennial anniversary of the Leacock Church and the 75th and centennial anniversary of the building of the Church in Paradise, and vol. 1 and 2 of the Paradise Messenger, printed in 1940 and 1941 respectively.

Insert 1 The address delivered at the Paradise Church in 1915 by Jacob N. Beam.

Insert 2 An address delivered at the 175th Anniversary of the Organization of the Leacock Presbyterian Church and the 75th Anniversary of the Building of the Church in Paradise by Rev. David R. Workman (1915).

Insert 3 An address delivered by Rev. David R. Workman at the bicentennial anniversary of the Leacock Church (1940).

Insert 4 A History of the Leacock Presbyterian Church and Congregation of Leacock, Lancaster County, PA by Reverend P.J. Timlow (comprised in two discourses delivered November 23, 1854 and July 21, 1892). Note: loose binding.

Insert 5 A copy of The Sunday News, Lancaster, PA from March 9, 1930.

Insert 6 Newspaper clippings of two articles from the Lancaster Morning News concerning “the Valley of Pequea,” a history of settlement of the area, dated February 17 and 19, 1892.

Insert 7 A news article in the Sunday News on September 22, 1940, reporting on the bicentennial celebration and history of the Leacock Church, titled “Years of Grace.”

Insert 8 A news articles and news photograph on Roland S. Morris’s address at the Donegal Presbyterian Church reunion, titled – “Speaker and Oldest Member” and “ Urges Simple Faith of Pioneers to Meet Needs” (Lancaster New Era, July 1, 1927).

 

Folder 13 Excerpts

Contains handwritten excerpts and other printed materials used by Dr. Beam in his research of the history of the Leacock Church, taken from such documents as the “History of the Building of the Leacock Church, 1754,” the “Last Will and Testaments of John McCausland (1731-1778),” “Plots of Pews of Leacock Church,” a letter from John Watson Ellmamaker, and publications of the Lancaster County Historical Society, among other published works.

Insert 1 Contains deeds and other financial records of the Leacock Church, including primarily extensive notes on costs and labor involved in the remodeling of the Church in 1903, planned under George Wood, whose family managed the financial affairs of the Church for nearly a century.

Insert 2 Newspaper clippings and notes of book reviews including Empire on the Seven Seas by James Truslow, The Coming of the Scots by John H. Finley, and an article titled “Loyalist Town” in the Halifax Chronicles (1940).

Insert 3 Notes taken from The Loyalists in the American Revolution (1902) by Claude Halstead Van Tyne.

Insert 4 Notes taken from Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758) by Ola Elizabeth Winslow (1940).

Insert 5 Notes taken from publications of genealogies and articles by the Pennsylvania Historical Society.

 

Folder 14 Beam Genealogy

Contains a history of the Beam family, including the name origin and genealogy records of members in Pennsylvania and elsewhere in the United States.

 

Box 2

Folder 15 Leacock Families, Anderson to Crawford

Contains information of the families of the Leacock. Notes are obtained from a variety of sources, including the Pennsylvania State Archives, and often begins with the earliest mentions of a member through wills, tax lists, land warrants and deeds, census, and/or military records. Notes also pertain to land records in relation to the Leacock Church. Some family records may also include correspondences with current family members.

Insert 1 The Anderson family, starting from Robert Anderson (d. 1779) was freeholder in Leacock Township in 1758.

Insert 2 The Barton family, contains notes on the deed of John Barton (1803).

Insert 3 The Bower family, first mention of Michael Bower in 1771.

Insert 4 The Brown family, George Brown of Leacock Township (d. 1756), was a trustee of the church as probably one of it’s founder.

Insert 5 The Carpenter family, from Henry (Henrich Zimmerman) Carpenter arriving from Switzerland in late 1600s to his grandson Col. Jacob Carpenter (1741-1799).

Insert 6 The Clark family, John Clark from Northern Ireland to his son William Clark (b. 1735) who settled in Leacock Township.

Insert 7 The Connell family, first note on Moore Connell who owned 53 acres in Leacock Township in 1812. No mention of Connell in Pennsylvania prior to this time.

Insert 8 The Cooper family, notes takes from the will of John Cooper, who owned 240 acres of land in Leacock and was one of the church’s earliest trustee, dated 1768.

Insert 9 The Craig family, beginning with John Craig who was an elder of the Church and bought land in Lampeter Township in 1756.

Insert 10 The Crawford family, beginning with David Crawford (d.1779) and includes correspondences with Jessie Crawford who provided information for the Bicentennial publication.

 

Folder 16 Leacock Families, Creighton to Le Feure

Contains information of the families of the Leacock. Notes are obtained from a variety of sources, including the Pennsylvania State Archives, and often begins with the earliest mentions of a member through wills, tax lists, land warrants and deeds, census, and/or military records. Notes also pertain to land records in relation to the Leacock Church. Some family records may also include correspondences with current family members.

Insert 1 The Creighton family, first mention of Thomas Creighton and William Creighton was a trustee and incorporator of the Church in 1787 and received land in Upper Leacock Township in 1763.

Insert 2 The Ferree family, French Huguenots who settled in Leacock as early as 1734, with David Ferree, and possible became one of the first members of the Church.

Insert 3 The Hamilton, begins with James Hamilton who settled in Leacock in 1760 and include one letter concerning William Hamilton.

Insert 4 The Hasson family, no early mention of Hasson in Lancaster records possibly owing to the change in spelling from Alexander Hasson to Alex Huston. No further information on when or how the Hasson came into Leacock.

Insert 5 The Hawthorn, Samuel Hawthorn owed land in Strasburg and his son James belonged to the Leacock Church. Both James and his brother William have military records, having served during the Revolutionary War.

Insert 6 The Henry family, beginning with John Henry, though he may not have directly owned land in Leacock.

Insert 7 The Herbert family, with Stewart Herbert owning land in Leacock in 1756, but the family moved away during or directly after the War.

Insert 8 The Knox family, earliest mention of member in Leacock is with James Knox in 1771.

Insert 9 The Le Rue family, one of the three early Huguenot families in Leacock beginning with Jonas Le Rue acquiring 350 acres of land in Leacock.

Insert 10 The Le Fevre family, early French Huguenot family along with the Ferree and Le Rue, who settled in Leacock in as early as 1763 with Samuel Le Fevre. The family became prominent in the church for over a century.

 

Folder 17 Leacock Families, Lyon to Montgomery

Contains information of the families of the Leacock. Notes are obtained from a variety of sources, including the Pennsylvania State Archives, and often begins with the earliest mentions of a member through wills, tax lists, land warrants and deeds, census, and/or military records. Notes also pertain to land records in relation to the Leacock Church. Some family records may also include correspondences with current family members.

Insert 1 The Lyon family, beginning with John Lyon who owned 200 acres of land in 1741 and was probably one of the founders of the church.

Insert 2 The McCaskey family, John McCaskey settled in Leacock in 1795.

Insert 3 The McCausland, beginning with William McCausland who settled in Leacock in1741, possibly as early as 1729.

Insert 4 The McClung family, Charles and Matthew settled in Leacock in 1752 after their father immigrated to America in 1740. Also include a letter from Lottie M. Bausman on some information on the family.

Insert 5 The McCurdy family, Robert McCurdy, son of James McCurdy, was granted 130 acres of land in Leacock in 1774 by the Penns.

Insert 6 The McFadden family, no land records in Leacock, but Alexander McFadden was a lieutenant in John Boyd’s battalion during the Revolutionary War. Include two letter to Dr. Beam concerning Alexander McFadden.

Insert 7 The McGowan family, beginning with John McGowan who owned 100 acres in Salisbury Township in 1771.

Insert 8 The McIlvaine family, beginning with Robert McIlvaine, one of the founders of the Leacock Church in 1740, after settling in the area in as early as 1730. Include several letters from WM. B. McIlvaine and others on the genealogy of the family and a copy of the bottom potion of Robert McIlvaine’s will from 1772.

Insert 9 The Mercer family, beginning with James Mercer who was the incorporator and elder of the church in 1787.

Insert 10 The Montgomery family, beginning with James Montgomery having bought land in the township in 1756.

 

Folder 18 Leacock Families, Moorehead to Scott

Contains information of the families of the Leacock. Notes are obtained from a variety of sources, including the Pennsylvania State Archives, and often begins with the earliest mentions of a member through wills, tax lists, land warrants and deeds, census, and/or military records. Notes also pertain to land records in relation to the Leacock Church. Some family records may also include correspondences with current family members.

Insert 1 The Moorehead family, beginning with William Moorehead (d.1829), notes taken from his will.

Insert 2 Miscellaneous Notes, contain correspondences from Ms. Lottie M. Bausman with information pertaining to the families of Leacock and the church.

Insert 3 The Parker family, notes taken from the will of Robert Parker in 1807, who made indenture deed with James Knox in 1784.

Insert 4 The Patterson family, beginning with Samuel Patterson who owned land in Strasburg Township. His son, John, served in John Boyd’s battalion in 1777. Include one letter from Ms. Lottie M. Bausman concerning the record of Patterson’s land.

Insert 5 The Patton family, beginning with Robert Patton, but there are no record to show of the Patton family having settled in Leacock in 1771.

Insert 6 The Porter family, beginning with William Porter who was an incorporator of the church in 1787 and owned land in Leacock in as early as 1761.

Insert 7 The Quigley family, little early history found except of a James Quigley who lived in Leacock though he may not have owned land.

Insert 8 The Reese family, beginning with John Reese who was probably one of the early founders and trustee of the church and owned land in Upper Leacock Township.

Insert 9 The Rodgers family, no earlier history of the family until William Rodgers (d.1860). Notes taken from his will.

Insert 10 The Scott family, owned land, first with Philip Scott, in Lampeter and/or Leacock Township by grant from the Penns in 1744.

 

Folder 19 Leacock Families, Slaymaker to Woods

Contains information of the families of the Leacock. Notes are obtained from a variety of sources, including the Pennsylvania State Archives, and often begins with the earliest mentions of a member through tax lists, land warrants and deeds, census, and/or military records. Notes also pertain to land records in relation to the Leacock Church. Some family records may also include correspondences with current family members.

Insert 1 The Slaymaker family, one of the five pre-church families, beginning with Matthias Slaymaker who took up 150 acres of land from the Penns in 1735. Includes four letters from Reverend Jay W. Kaufman pertaining to the Slaymaker family and a news article titled, “Slaymaker Log Homestead, Built about 1710, Restored by Family.”

Insert 2 The Stewart family, probably was one of the founders of the church when George Stewart immigrated from Ireland before 1741. His son, George, was a distinguished Colonel in the Revolutionary War.

Insert 3 The Tapley (or Tepley) family, no early records shown of the family in Leacock, possibly having arrived in the area later than 1790. Notes taken from the will of John Tetley (d.1803) and Elizabeth Pepley (d.1808).

Insert 4 The Torbit (or Turbott) family, with earliest records showing a John Torbet in 1752 and Revolutionary records showing names of several members of the Turbott family.

Insert 5 The Tout family, may have been originally the Trout family of Strasburg Township owing to a name change. Notes taken from the will of Jacob Tout (d.1879) whose families were buried in the church graveyard.

Insert 6 The Vernor family, beginning with John Vernor who took up land in 1733 and provided the site of the church in 1740.

Insert 7 The Watson (possibly Wasson) family, beginning with John Watson who owned 170 acres of land in 1749.

Insert 8 The White family, earliest records from William White’s will in 1781.

Insert 9 The Whitehill family, beginning with John Whitehill who settled in 1765. His son, John, and grandson, James, became members of Congress.

Insert 10 The Woods family, beginning with Thomas Woods who came with his brother, Adam, to Leacock in 1743, though the date is debatable. They became freeholders in Leacock Township in 1753. Includes several letters and printed information on the family from Mrs. Mary W. McCausland and others.

 

Folder 20   Dr. Robert Smith

Contains two copies of “Dr. Robert Smith’s Academy at Pequea, Pennsylvania” by Jacob N. Beam, reprinted from the Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society, December 1915. Dr. Robert Smith was ordained pastor of the Pequea Church in 1751 and served until his death in 1793.

 

Folder 21 Presbyterian Historical Society Annual Report

Contains one copy of the Presbyterian Historical Society’s Annual Report of the Executive Council for 1895 and 1986.

 

Folder 22 Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society

Contains two copies of the Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society Vol. III, no. 4, December 1915. The journal includes three articles titled: “Dr. Robert Smith’s Academy at Pequea, Pa.” by Jacob N. Beam, “Letters and Reports of the Rev. John Philip Boehm” translated and edited by William J. Hinke, and “ The Diaries of the Rev. Seth Williston, D.D.” edited by the Rev. John Quincy Adams.

 

Folder 23 Scrapbook, brown

Contains a brown cloth-bound scrapbook filled with newspaper clippings of home recipes, etiquette tips, and other housekeeping advice from the late 19th century.

Note: There are holes and tears on the cover, loose binding of a few pages and the spine, and coloration along the edges.

 

Folder 24 Isaac McCamant Scrapbook, brown marble cover

Contains a hardcover scrapbook filled with newspaper clippings of anecdotes, verses, home recipes and remedies, etiquette tips, and other housekeeping advice from the mid 19th century, as well as a few casualty statistics from the Civil War.

Front cover is labeled, “Isaac McCamant, White Hall Farm, Salisbury Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.”

Note: There are blue ink stains on the front and back inside covers and on several other pages throughout the book, one loose page, and coloration along the edges and pages.

 

Folder 25 Isaac McCamant Scrapbook, green marble cover

Contains a hardcover scrapbook filled with newspaper clippings of anecdotes, verses, home recipes and remedies, etiquette tips, and other housekeeping advice from the mid-to-late19th century, as well as local and national news of political, agricultural, and scientific natures.

Front cover is labeled, “Isaac McCamant, White Hall Farm, Salisbury Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.”

Note: Loose binding and a few near-loose pages. Slight coloration and spotting on paper and at least one page have holes and another page is missing a quarter of its contents. The edge of the pages are serrated, cutting off some news articles.

 

Folder 26 Large Scrapbook, blue

Contains a scrapbook, blue covers. Originally an arithmetic workbook with newspaper clippings pasted into the first nine pages. Clippings are mostly poetry and anecdotes.   Remaining pages are filled with arithmetic problems, handwritten, including times and measurement tables, basic and compound calculations, word problems, and mathematical rules. Original author/owner unknown.

Insert 1 contains larger sized news clippings of poems not yet pasted into scrapbook.

Insert 2 contains smaller sized news clippings of poems and anecdotes not yet pasted into scrapbook.

Notes: 3/4 of the front cover is missing. No loose pages, but many have strong colorations and staining. Some pages have been cut and/or torn and filled with holes. Some loose news clippings are wrinkled and torn.