Steinman: George Steinman Papers, Series 1 Steinman Album

Call Number:  MG-184, Series 1 Steinman Album

1 album     1 cubic ft.

Repository:  LancasterHistory (Organization); PV7

Shelving Location:  Archives South, Side 4

Scope and Content Note: MG-184, Series 1 contains an album, compiled by George Steinman, with many photographs of buildings, tombstones, monuments and scenes of Lancaster city and county. Ephemera and newspaper articles are among the photographs. Represented in the album are Postlethwaite’s Tavern, hotels and taverns, fire houses, the Conestoga Massacre, churches, cemeteries, Ephrata Cloister, prominent citizens and their homes, Stehli Silk Mill, and schools.

Creator:  Steinman, George, 1847-1920.

Conditions for Access:  Restricted access. Patrons wishing to view the Steinman Album or the contents of the boxes must make an appointment with the Archives Staff at least two weeks prior to visit.

System of Arrangement:  This collection is divided into two series.

Series 1  The Steinman Album

Series 2  Documents, Photographs, Ephemera

Conditions Governing Reproductions:  Collection may not be photocopied. Please contact Research Staff or Archives Staff with questions.

Language:  English

Source of Acquisition:  Album was a gift of John M. Gibson, 22 June 1968. Source of the contents of boxes unknown.                                                      

Accruals:  No further accruals are expected.

Preferred Citation:  George Steinman Papers (MG-184), Series #, Page #, LancasterHistory, Lancaster, Pa.

Related Materials: Please see the Photograph Collections for photographs referenced in this finding aid.

Processing History:  Processed and finding aid prepared by PK and MSH, 2008. This collection has been documented, preserved and managed according to professional museum and archives standards. The collection was cataloged using DACS conventions.

Steinman Album

Inside front cover

Silhouette – the Librarian, William Frederick Worner, Berlin, Germany, 1934, by Fuhm?

Mr. George Steinman – owner of album, given to LCHS after his death by George F. Franklin

Southwest view of Lancaster Counter by P. S. Duvel, Philadelphia

Page 1

New prison, built 1851, cost $110,000 (LCHS photo 2050511)

Shreiner’s Conestoga Wagon (with four persons and a dog) at Landis Valley (LCHS photo 2070802)

Page 2

Nanticoke Indiantown Marker (group includes Herbert Beck, two Native Americans and others)

John F. Reynolds historical marker

Herbert H. Beck, president of LCHS, 1924

Milton Hess Diffenderfer, 1871 – 1942

Statue, Masonic Lodge #43, 13 West King Street

John W. Lippold, Financial Secretary, February 1928

Page 3

Postlethwaite’s Tavern – First court of Lancaster County, 1729 (LCHS Print Collection P010309)

Second Courthouse in Penn Square, erected 1783 – 1785, taken down 1853 (LCHS photo 1010197 and D070136)

Page 4

Fire house – Shiffler/American Hose House, Lancaster (LCHS photo 2011003)

Fire house – Union Fire house, northwest corner of Market and Grant Streets, Lancaster

Fire house – Humane fire house, west side of Manor Street near King Steet, Lancaster

Fire house – First Humane Hose House

Second courthouse in Penn Square (LCHS photo 1010197 and D010136)

Page 5

New courthouse – northwest corner of King and Duke Streets, cornerstone laid August 23, 1852. S. Sloane, architect. James Crawford, Superintendent. First court held November 20, 1854. Cost $166,000. Jacob’s Cigar Factory also shown (the famous counterfeiter)

Friendship Fire House, Duke Street north of Chestnut Street, Lancaster (2 views)

Sun Fire House, East Vine, east of Duke Street, Lancaster

Shiffler/American Hose Company (same photo as on page 4) (LCHS photo 2011003)

Page 6

Old waterworks, built 1837 (2 photos)

Old waterworks (from Lancaster New Era, October 29, 1929)

Clipping from “Events in Indian History” by Weiner, Lancaster, 1814

Article dated may 4, 1889, “Indian Bones Exhumed”

Page 7

Powder House of the Revolution, southwest corner of Duke and james Streets, Lancaster (LCHS photo 1010443)

Lancaster, subsequent to 1854

Old jail, northwest corner of Prince and King Streets, Lancaster, erected 1740 at cost of £204, 9s, 9d. Enlarged 1747, 1775 and 1828. Print shows murder of Indians by Paxton Boys, 1763.

Page 8

Masonic hall, founded 1798

Page 9

City Hall, 1860 (LCHS photo 1010410)

Mechanics Library, Ruth’s Fine Groceries, McCoy…

Page 10

Brick homes, fenced in backyards, wagons with boys (LCHS photo 1030337)

Count Zinzendorf historical marker

Military formation at City Hall (LCHS photo 1010436 – Pat’s note says the photo was taken from the image in this album)

W. L. Germon, Arch Street, Philadelphia (partial view, LCHS photo 1010436)

Page 11

List of Fencibles, 1857

Captain Philip Boyle of Lancaster Phalanx, 1812

The Old Lock-Up, East Mifflin Street, west of Duke Street, Lancaster

First meetings of Franklin College were held in this building

Page 12

Church (unidentified?)

St. James Episcopal Church, northeast corner of Duke and Orange Streets, Lancaster. Built 1820.

Article, “St. James in 1744”

Page 13

St. Mary’s Catholic Curch, southeast corner of Vine and Prince Streets, Lancaster, built 1762, taken down 1881 (LCHS photo 2070912)

St. James Episcopal Church

Page 14

Datestone – Hoc Templium, SS Tinitate Ecclesia Evangelica Saratad, MDCCLXI

Datestone – Zur Ehrie Der HH Dreyeinigkeit ist Diese Evangel Kirche Ebanet

Gravestone of Thomas Mifflin, Esq. (drawing) (LCHS photo D030184 and D070137)

First Presbyterian Church

Thomas Wharton, Governor of PA, buried in Trinity Lutheran Church (LCHS photo 2030625)

Lutheran Sunday School, Duke Street, Lancaster

Page 15

Trinity Lutheran Church (2 photos, one showing graveyard) (LCHS photo D030180)

Presbyterian church built 1770, taken down 1850 (painting?) (LCHS photo 1010267)

Presbyterian church built 1851

Page 16

First German Reformed Church, interior, Orange Street, Lancaster (LCHS photo 1030136)

Moravian Graveyard, northeast corner of Prince and Marion Streets, Lancaster

Page 17

First German Reformed Church, built 1753, taken down 1852 (LCHS photo 1030136)

Log building – no notation (LCHS photo 1010375)

Moravian Church, Lancaster, 1818 (LCHS photo 1010252)

Moravian? Brethren’s Church and Parsonage at Lancaster

Datestone – 1746 Kysset – Den – Sohn – PSA – Z – Gloria – Pleurae

Page 18

Old Grace Lutheran Church

412 Manor Street, birthplace of Christ Lutheran Church, September 29, 1867

New Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, northeast corner of James and Queen Streets, Lancaster

Christ Lutheran Chapel, 1868, West King Street near Manor Street

Feagleyville – old Clay Street chapel (LCHS photo 1030131)


Page 19


St. John’s Lutheran Church built 1853, demolished façade 1891 (LCHS photo 1030134)

St. John’s Lutheran Church, West Orange Street at Arch Street, Lancaster

St. Paul’s Reformed Church, southwest corner of Duke and Orange Streets, Lancaster, built 1853

Page 20

St. James Parish House

St. James Episcopal Churchyard

Stone in memory of Elizabeth Slough at St. James Churchyard

Monuments to Jasper Yeates and wife at St. James Churchyard

Monument to Edward Hand with flag at St. James Churchyard (LCHS photo 2070301)

Gateway on Orange Street to St. James Churchyard

Page 21

St. John’s Free Episcopal Church

Corner of Chestnut and North Queen Street, Lancaster, showing Caldwell House, original courthouse two blocks distant

Laying cornerstone of St. John’s Fee Episcopal Church

Monument to Thomas Henry Burrowes at St. James Churchyard

Stone in memory of Elizabeth Slough at St. James Churchyard (also on page 20)

Page 22

New church at St. John’s, Pequea (proposed)

First Lutheran Church, Manheim, 1770, from sketch, 1842

Pewter communion set, St. John’s Church, Pequea, 1766 (2 photos) (LCHS photo 1030122)

Gravestones of Peter and Martha Bezillon, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Compassville, Chester County

Page 23

Datestone, old St. John’s Church, Pequea

Stone building, no identification

Old Mennonite Church, Waverland, built 1776, rebuilt 1883, torn down 1926 (LCHS photo 1010242)

James Damant’s seminary, Union Bethel Church at Prince and Orange Streets, Lancaster (LCHS photo 1010133)

Union Bethel painted by E. R. Hamond, 1844

Old Moravian Graveyard, Prince Street near Chestnut Street, Lancaster

Page 24

St. Michael’s Lutheran Church, Christmas, 1908

Lutheran Chruch, Strasburg, Harvest Home, 1910

Old Communion service, St. Michael’s Church, Strasburg

Pewter chalice with lid, Muddy Creek Church

Bucher homestead near Denver

Water Street north of Orange Street, Lancaster

Page 25

St. Peter’s Catholic Church, Columbia

Pewter chalice with lid, Muddy Creek Church (also on page 24)

St. Michael’s Lutheran Church, Strasburg, built 1812

Robert Fulton’s birthplace, painted by R. Fulton Ludlow (LCHS photo 2040305)

St. Catherine’s Church, Drumore, built 1843, torn down 1894

Stone “Andreas Graff” (LCHS photo D030367)

Page 26

Old Methodist Episcopal Church, Strasburg, built 1807. Later known as Templar’s Hall

Tomb of John Funck (artist) Old Mennonite Cemtery, Strasburg

Stone building at foot of Lafayette Hill at Paradise, first used for services of All Saints Episcopal Church (2 photos)

Friends Meetinghouse, Bird-in-Hand, built 1730, burned down August 11, 1888, 1 a.m.

Page 27

Boehm’s Chapel, built by Henry Boehm, 1790 (LCHS photo 1030152)

Donegal Presbyterian Church, built about 1730

Roof construction on building, house/wagon (no identification)

New gateway to Donegal Churchyard, dedicated 1925, shows women in cemetery

Page 28

Grave of Jacob Frailey, solder in the War of 1812, with a goup of women at Lancaster Cemetery

Leacock Presbyterian Church

Pastor Timlow

Page 29

Chestnut Level Presbyterian Church, built c. 1760 (LCHS photo 2070129)

Grave of Jacob Frailey (see page 28)

Middle Octorara Presbyterian Church, Bart, build c. 1730

The old Church (Middle Ocotrara?)

St. Peter’s Catholic Church, Elizabethtown

Building with fence (no identification)

Page 34

Lititz, with history of various building on page 31

Page 35

Moravian Church, Sisters’ House and Parsonage

Brethrens’ House, John Beck’s School

Linden Hall Seminary, founded 1794

Grave of John Sutter, Lititz

Terms of the Establishement for Female Education (Linden Hall)

Page 36

Dwelling of Conrad Beissel, Ephrata Cloister

Saron (Sisters’ House)

Bethania (Brothers’ House) (LCHS photo 1010237)

School House

Old Ephrata Press

Bird on flower stem (watercolor)

Page 37

Saal and Saron, Ephrata Cloister (LCHS photo 2040229)

Bethania (Ephrata Cloister)

God’s Acre (cemetery at Ephrata Cloister)

Seal of the Cloister

Page 39

Log structure – Sadsbury Meetinghouse?

Stone structure – Sadsbury Meetinghouse (LCHS photo 1010247)

Stone structure – Sadsbury Meetinghouse

Quaker meetinghouse, Bird-in-Hand (see page 26)

Page 40

Church (Swartzville or Brickerville?)

Pulpit – Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Brickerville

Tombstone of James Old

Bangor Episcopal Church, Churchtown


Presbyterian Church, Brickerville

Page 41

Mellinger’s Meetinghouse, East Lampeter Township, built 1767

Old Mennonite Church, Landisville

Old Mennonite Church, Landisville

Mellinger Church, shows people and buggies (LCHS photo D030198)

Page 42

Historical marker – Frederick Valentine Melsheimmer, New Holand, with group including Herbert Beck, stone from French Creek quarry

Old St. Catherine’s Graveyard

Page 43

View of North Street, west of Presbyterian Church to Center Square, Marietta

Gravestone of John B. Kevninski

Portrait of Adam Reigart

School buildings, Old Home Week, Marietta

Page 44

St. Mary’s Catholic Church (old and new)

Tavern sign for William Pitt, Earl of Chatham, 1808 – Henry Diffenbaugh – first Anti-Masonic meetings held here

Page 45

Martin Mylin gun shop

Demuth cigar, William Pitt tavern, several other buildings – photo taken 1908 by family member

Widow Duchman residence, William Pitt tavern (artist drawing) (Print P010211)

Railroad bridge – arches – waterworks in background

McCrary Company

Page 46

Tavern sign – County House

Tavern sign – Fountain Inn – information about court and theater productions

Page 47

County House – King Street, east of Duke Street – kept in 1745 by Bausman

County House and building to right

Fountain Inn, west side of South Queen Street (LCHS photo 1010363)

Empty room with desk, chairs

Page 48

Date stones (graves?) – 1749 10 MOL FORDENE ANA BARBARA (Melchoir Fordney and Anna Barbara)

Datestones (graves?) – 1749 10 MOD BARB

Sign of the Grape (bracket)

Chinaware in china closet – note says see #9. King’s rose pitcher, also Pokel (Steigel)

Page 49

Lamb (tavern)

Lamb (tavern)

The Grape Tavern – North Queen Street, south of Orange Street, built by Kirkpatrick, 1839

White Swan Hotel, southwest corner of Penn Square and Queen Street, plus news clipping from October 1806 (LCHS photo 1010387)

Page 50

Sign – Plow Tavern

Sign – Swan Hotel

Plow Tavern (from drawing) (LCHS photo 2070241)

Swan Hotel

Relay Hotel – presons nearby (photo of different view 2060304)


Page 53

Eagle Hotel (LCHS photo 2060610)

Sorrell Horse – other buildings (LCHS photo 1030157)

Page 54

Sign – Lamb Hotel (1834 known as Golden Lamb) – notation for Cosgroves’s Tavern, north side of Chestnut Street, east of Christian Street. Notation for Franklin House, west side of North Queen Street, north of Orange Street – 1801 Mr. Hatz kept tavern under name “Dr. Franklin”

Indian Queen, from drawing, later site of Eastern Market. Notation for North American, southeast corner of North Queen and Chestnut Streets during Revolution kept by Peter Hofnagle – place where British prisoners were held (LCHS photo 1030155)

Page 55

Old City Hall (with flags) – shows Hirsh & Brother Clothier (LCHS photo 2070329)

Building with theater posters beside – Cosgrove’s Tavern, East Chestnut Street

Franklin House? (see notation page 54)

Page 56

Washington Hotel (Kept by “Devil” Dave Miller) southwest corner of Duke and King Streets (Print P010209) and Farmer’s National Bank, built 1813, chartered 1810

Exchange Hotel

Woolworth Store (original) (LCHS photo D120475)

First home of Lancaster Curling Club, 42 East Chestnut Street (with patriotic decorations)

Page 57

Ephrata Mountain Spring Hotel registery – signatures below of Gen. George B. McClellan, Abraham Lincoln, and Thaddeus Stevens

Union Hotel, southeast corner of Chestnut and Christians Streets

Sign – ? House (has picture of Washington)

City Hotel, North Queen Street near Chestnut Street, Trout and Baker beyond, second floor home of YWCA

Page 58

Fites Eddy on the Susquehanna River, built by Felix Sweigart in 1849 – exterior

Fites Eddy – interior

Burning the Columbia Bridge

Birthplace of David Ramsey (see also page 157)

Columbia Bridge (LCHS photo D070207)

Columbia Bridge – destroyed September 29, 1896

Page 59

White Horse Hotel? – Salisbury on the King’s Highway (persons standing outside) (LCHS photo 1010308)

White Horse Hotel?

Musselman house, Strasburg, built 1739

Gravestone of Susanna Miller, midwife, Pequea Twp., near Byerland Church

Page 60

News article about the collapse of stone bridge at Engleside

Reversed photo of home of Emanuel C. Reigart, 1860

Page 61

Reigart’s Landing – building and field

Graeff’s Landing – Tavern, built by George Graeff, 1784

Covered bridge built by Henry Slaymaker, 1807

Dwelling at REigart’s Landing, 1860, home of Emanuel C. Reigart (see page 60)

Page 62

Strasburg – Golden Swan Hotel, Levi Summy

Strasburg – Musselman House, built 1739 (LCHS photo 1020596)

Strasburg – Academy, Rev. D. McCarter, principal

Strasburg – South Decatur Street

Strasburg – Massasoit Hall

Page 63

Strasburg – 14-16 East Main Street – First Academy, 1803 – 1815, conducted by Robert Elliot, M.A. – D. B.Landis, photographer?

Strasburg – Second Academy, North Jackson Street

Strasburg – Third Academy

Strasburg – Classical School, Robert Elliot, 1800 – 1815

Strasburg – Swan Hotel, men standing nearby

Page 64

Tailor shop of Robert Fulton, father of inventor, north side of East King Street and Penn Square (LCHS photo 1010416)

Chestnut Level Presbyterian Church (King’s Daughters?)

South side of West King Street and Penn Square

Page 65

Southwest corner of King Street and Penn Square – Buchanan’s office (2 photos (LCHS photo 3110126 – check number)

Southeast corner of King Street and Penn Square – Watt and Shand

West King Street from ambrotype by Dr. Fahnestock – shows old courthouse (LCHS photo 1010427)

Page 66

Portrait of George Ross (LCHS photo 1020217)

Marker for George Ross House

Friends Meetinghouse, Columbia, Cherry Street between Third and South Streets

Page 67

Town House of George Ross from drawing by Stauffer (David McNeely Stauffer?)

Country house of George Ross, East side of Ross Street, east of Shippen Street

Shippen House, northwest corner of Orange and Lime Streets, site of YWCA (LCHS photo 2070601)

Page 68

Oldest house in Lancaster County – Hans Herr house, built 1719 (LCHS photo 2040327)

Datestone – Hans Herr house – 17 CH HR 19

Notes from account book of Jasper Yeates relating to purchase of home

Page 69

Eagle Hotel, northwest corner of Queen and Orange Streets, kept by Emanuel Shober – 1857 kept by Graybill Diller

Home of Jasper Yeates, southwest corner of South Queen and Mifflin Streets

Doorway to Yeates home (LCHS photo 1040430)

Bed in Yeates home

Mirror in Yeates home

Jasper Yeates’s signature

Page 70

YMCA, corner of North Queen and West Orange Streets

South side of East King Street, balloon ascension in background (LCHS photo 2040603)

Southeast corner of North Queen Street – taken down 1899 to build Woolworth building

East King Street and Duke Street

Page 71

Caleb Cope house – northeast corner of North Lime and Grant Streets – prison of Major Andre, 1928 residence of Mrs. Jaems G. Baker (LCHS photo 2070602 and print P010224)

Site of Woolworth building, John Baer’s bookstore

Birthplace of General John Reynolds and Admiral William Reynolds, southeast corner of King and Prince Streets, Lancaster Journal printed here (LCHS photo A100242)

Page 72

Notation of homes and business south side of Penn Square

First National Store (LCHS photo 1030141)

South side of Penn Square – Wise balloon in background (see page 73)

Windsor Forge Dam (two photos)

Page 73

Wise balloon ascension, September 18, 1869 (LCHS photo 1020418)

Penn Square balloon ascension – Penn Square from east (LCHS photo 2040603)

Penn square from the east (see above – no balloon in photo)

East King Street showing Reigart’s Old Wine Shop (LCHS photo 2040603)

Notation of homes business on East King Street – Penn Square to Lime Street, 1860

Page 74

Lancaster Academy – near northeast corner of Lime and Orange Streets – incorporated in 1827 – May 15, 1839 conveyed to Franklin College – located here until 1856

White Swan Hotel (Hubley’s Hotel) (LCHS photo 1010414)

Page 75

Showing Mischler’s Exchange/Central Cigar Store, etc.

Home built in 1810 by Cyrus Jacobs, ironmaster, for daughter

“Federal Hall” north of Churchtown

Parsonage o First German Reformed Church, east side of Duke Street, south of Orange Street, also law office of Hon. H. M. North – small frame building law office of Hon. Nathaniel Ellmaker – taken down 1908

Steeple of Moravian Church, Lititz (Print P010326)

Page 76

News article, portrait of Christopher Marshall

Unidentified one room schoolhouse

East King Street looking to Penn Square, News Depot – see page 65

Page 77

Home, 207 East Orange Street lot bought by Christopher Marhsall from Robert Thornburg, April 10, 1780

Office of Judge H. G. Long – south side Orange Street, west of Duke Street, taken down 1890

247 East Orange Street, residence of Dr. John Neff in 1777

Page 78

Silhouette of George Ross, second in wheelchair – V-P Pennsylvania?

Home of George Ross, Jr., northwest corner of Prince and Orange Street

Ten hour house – built by Benjamin Mishler, October 1, 1873 (LCHS photo 2070619)

Powell House, at ? and Lime Streets

Page 79

Parsonage – Trinity Lutheran Church, northeast corner of Duke and Grant Streets

215 East Orange Street (drawing), Christopher Marshall purchased this house from Col. John Cox – lived here during Revolution, died here 1782

Home of Hon. Henry G. Long, southeast corner of Duke and Orange Streets, taken down 1890

Page 80

Unidentified road – houses on each side

Page 81

Remley House – Columbia Ave or Marietta Pike (LCHS photo 2070610)

Home and distillery of Anthony Zehmer, North Prince Street opposite Marian Street

239 East Orange Street, home of Mathias Zahm, Jr. (LCHS photo 2070628)

“Old White House”, East Orange and Jefferson Street, tradition says Continental Congress met here in 1777, home of Timothy Matlock during Revolution

Page 82

Datestone – William Bausman and Elizabeth built this house 1762

Bausman House – Chief Burgess 1775

343-349 East King Street – demolished February 1950 (two photos)

Page 83

Home/drug store of Dr. D. R. McCormick, south side of West King Street near Mulberry Street (LCHS photo 2060910)

Steps and doorway, 207 East Orange Street

Home of John Mathiot, mayor of Lancaster in 1831, next to northwest corner of South Queen and Vine Streets

Halfway House – South Queen Street between Hazel and Hager Streets (See page 100)

Indian Queen Tavern – southeast corner of King and Church Streets, erected by Simon Kuhn as a home in 1763 – sold t Michael Lightner in 1788, licensed to keep the Indian Queen Hotel – takend down 1883 to build Eastern Market (LCHS photo 1030155)

Page 84

B. J. McGrann’s mansion

Page 85

Home of Emanuel Reigart, tanner, northwest corner of West King and Concord Streets, Helen Reimansnyder lived in house in 1880s

Home of Patton Ross, 1843, north side of Oarnge Street, east of Plum Street

Cat Tavern, west side of Prince Street, south of James Street, during Revolution Gen. Moses Hazen and troops quartered while guarding British prisoners

Page 86

Portrait of D. B. Landis, poet, printer, publisher

Historical marker, LCHS 1932 – stables during Revolution

Kramph’s Building (drawing), North Queen Street and Orange Street, torn down May 1909

Brinkman Wallpaper removal sale

Page 87

Home of William and John R. Montgomery, east side of South Queen Street, north of Vine Street, also Muhlenberg’s

Home of Judge Charles Smith, home of Paul Zantzinger, built by Jasper Yeates – sold by Charles Smith to Milton C. Rogers, December 9, 1883 – also YMCA Free Reading Room – S. H. Zahm secondhand bookstore

Page 88

Tomb of James Buchanan

Postcard of Clare Point Stock Farm, Ephrata

Page 89

Home of Peter Winover, house painter, 1839, south side of West King Street west of Mulberry Street

Powell House – Saw Buck House, northeast corner of Middle and Lime Street, taken down 1896 (see page 78)

Home of Col. William Pitt Atlee, northwest corner of Lime and East King Streets, date on gable end 1761 – in 1784 was Ship Tavern kept by Maj. John B. Light, 1803 name change to The Anchor, kept by William P. Atlee, Barton Henderson and Stephen St. John. In 1843 residence of Dr. Washington L. Atlee (drawing)

Page 90

Home of Charlotte Harpel, taken down 1899 by Dr. T. C. Detwiler, southeast corner of Chestnut Street facing Charlotte Street

News clipping – August 20, 1896 relating to demolition of N. Prince and Marion Street (Moravian Church?)

Page 91

Home of Mollie Hand, site of residence of Judge Appel 1860 – 1960, King Theater, north side of King Street east of Plum Street

City Hall (see page 9) (LCHS photo 1010410)

East King Street to Penn Square – news Depot, Buchanan office (LCHS photo 3110126 – check number)

Green Cottage, Catherine Yeates’s cottage, west corner of Fremont and Dorwart Streets

Portrait of Alexander H. Hood, Esq., 1806 – 1875

Page 92

Home, west corner of East King Street and Howard Avenue

47 South Queen Street showing Stevens tablet

Albright’s Transportation Depot of Pennsylvania Railroad, north side of Chestnut Street, west of Queen Street – taken down in 1897 by Long & Davidson

News clipping relating to demolition above

Page 93

Home of Barney Mulhatten, grandfather of Hon. Frank. B. McClain, northwest corner of Duke and James Streets

Home of Dr. Samuel Dufresne, east side of North Queen Street south of Orange Street

Dissecting house and laboratory of Dr. Dufresne on Christian Street, behind home

Dedication of Historical marker, 307 North Duke Street

Page 94

George Krug house – West King and Prince Streets (see page 97) (LCHS photo 2070607)

Heinitsh Drug Store (with information)

Page 95

Hutter’s Folly – built by Christian Hutter as home and button factory, afterward used as brewery by John Broll, then by Springer – fifth block of Orange Street, north side (two photos)

Heinitsh Drug Store (drawing) (see page 94) (LCHS print P010210)

Unidentified small home

Page 96

No photos – history of Krug House (on page 97) and British prison, photos may be missing

Page 97

Krug House (see history page 96) – two photos (LCHS photos 3020107 and 2070608)

Unidentified row of homes

Page 98


Row of homes opposite Woodward Hill

Description of Haggerty murder – signed William A. Morton

Page 99

Home built by George Burkhart 1764 – January 2, 1783, his daughter married Christian B. Mayer and went ther to live – stayed in Mayer family until bought by Dr. John Altee (two photos)

Shreiner’s Home – 2/5 mile east of Landis Valley Museum

Page 100

Halfway House – west side of South Queen Street on Hazel Street, halfway between Penn Square and Conestoga Creek, kept by Widow Knight (two photos)

Home of William A. Morton, mayor of Lancaster (on porch), 705 South Queen Street

Page 101

Homes of Matthias and Godfried Zahm (LCHS photo 1010425)

Home of Elias Barr, who in 1847 made gas for No. 1 Cotton Mill, first gas made in Lancaster, south end of Filbert Street

Row of houses, south side of Vine Street, west of Duke Street

Page 102

Portrait of Matlack – member of American Philosophical Society

Matlack house – Orange and Jefferson Streets (from drawing)

Paper mill and Binkley’s Bridge, Eden (LCHS photo 1030342)

Old St. John’s Church, Pequea (Compassville)

Page 107

Eden Iron Works – built by W. C. Beecher

Unidentified buildings near water, men in boat

Carpenter’s Church, Talmadge (two photos)

Drawing of Friends Meetinghouse, now Odd Fellows Hall

Pequea Presbyterian Church, showing tree under which Whitefield preached

Page 108

First sewing machines

24028 North Queen Street, 26-28 property of Jacob Loeb, Shreiner Building and Grape Hotel, also shows house/wagon and men

Postcard reproduction of Howard Pyle’s last important painting: DuPont Powder Wagon Carrying Powder to Commodore Perry in 1813

Old Conestoga Wagon (Gingrich’s) of Lancaster, PA, used on a trip from Washington to Erie, June 1913

Page 109

Friends Meetinghouse, Columbia, Cherry Street between Third and Fourth Streets

Pequea Presbyterian Church (LCHS photo 2040410)

Page 110

Old Eagle Hotel, Churchtown, built 10 years prior to Revolution, earliest innkeeper recoreded was Edward Hughes, 1772

Sign of the Hat Tavern, Old Phildelphia Road near Gap, history of tavern and name given Caldwell owners

Page 111

Tomb of General John A. Sutter, Moravian Cemetery, Lititz (two photos)

Memorial on house I which Gen. Sutter died, now Madis Hotel

Detail of memorial above

Views of house in which Gen. Sutter died, June 16, 1880, corner Penn Avenue and Third Street, northwest Washington DC

Page 112

Sign – Bishop Bowman Home, founded AD 185?, East side Orange Street, west of Lime Street – history of home noted

Page 113

Hopewell Furnace

Lancaster County National Bank, rebuilt, shows William L. Peiper, president and T. F. H. Brenneman, cashier

Wall with photos of U. S. Presidents

Postcard Hans or Christian Herr House, 1719

Page 114

Andrew Ellicott lived in Lancaster 1801-1813, news clipping from Sunday News, January 8, 1950

Andrew Ellicott

Page 115

Church? Northwest corner of Orange and Mulberry Streets (St. John’s Reformed?)

Pennsbury, Home of William Penn

Page 116

Portrait – Andrew Ellicott (see page 114)

William Uhler Hensel

Andrew Porter


Jasper Yeates

Joseph Heister

Page 117

Ephrata Mountain Springs Hotel – Joseph Konigmacher, proprietor

Voganville Hotel and residence of Mr. John Vogan, founder of village of Voganville, 1830 – hotel ? by Martin Beck

Page 118

Portrait – David Ramsey

Portrait – George Bryan

Portrait – Hon. Charles Smith

Portrait – not identified

Portrait – Andrew Ellicott (see page 114)

Portrait – William Jenkins, Esq.

Page 119

Portrait – Judge A. L. Hayes

Portrait – J. A. Forney

Portrait – Reah Frazer

Portrait – George Ross

Portrait – Adam Reigart

Page 120

Portrait – S. S. Haldeman

Portrait – Rev. Thomas Barton, Rector of St. James Episcopal Church (LCHS photo 2070913)

Portrait – M. W. Geist

Portrait – ? Snyder

Page 121

The Death of Wolfe by Benjamin West

Portrait – Miss Elizabeth Armstrong

Portrait – Thomas Mifflin

Page 122

Portrait – Rev. Joseph Clarkson – from miniature by du Samitiere

Portrait – Thaddeus Stevens – commemorative print

Portrait – Mr. Witmer – founder of Paradise

Portrait – Mrs. Witmer

Page 123

Portrait – Langdon Cheves (LCHS photo 2050504)

Portrait – Maj. Gen. Samuel P. Heintzelman

Portrait – John Funk, painter, Strasburg

Portrait – Rev. Hans Herr, from painting by John Funk

Page 124

Cover page of Francis Baily Almanac, 1779, on which Washington was fist called “Father of His Country”

Tombstone of Peter Bezillon, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Compassville (See page 22)

Snuff box presented to Andrew Hamilton with history in notation (2 photos)

Page 125

Burial place of Rev. Hans Herr, 1725, Mennonite Cemetery ½ mile east of Willow Street

Old Dering house near Witmer Bridge

Portrait of Charles Hall, Esq., husband of Elizabeth Coleman, from a miniature

Charles Wise, aeronaut, son of John Wise

Page 126

Franklin and Marshall Recitation Hall (similar LCHS photo D010135 and D010137)

Portrait of George H. Knig?

Portrait of John S. Stahr (similar LCHS photo 1010113)

Franklin and Marshall Diagnothian hall (similar LCHS photo D100148 and D101049)

Page 127

Portrait – Samuel Slaymaker

Portrait – George N. Reynolds

Portrait – Willim Gill, photographer

Portrait – H. M. North

Page 128

Sign of the Bull Tavern, Compassville, George Washington at breakfast here June 4, 1773

J. B. Distillery, Rohrerstown, erected by Henry Bear, 1775

Page 129

Datestone – ANDREAS GRAFF 7

Datestone – CATHARINA 67

Home built by Andreas Graff, 1767, on Conestoga Creek east of Lancaster

Home of Col. Alexander Lowery (farm)


Page 130

Jake Parks, two photos, one dated 1910 (LCHS photo 2011019)

Blind Johnny Pastor, Penn Square, Hirsh’s Corner (LCHS photo 1020327)

Hiram Kroome, 1910, Lancaster (LCHS photo 2011106)

News clipping about Dr. Samuel H. Metzger

Page 131

Rev. Colin McFarquahr

Portrait – George Steinman, d. 1920

Home of Jacob Eichholtz, west side of Lime Street, north of Vine Street, about 1928

Portrait of George B. Porter

Page 132

Notes for opposite page

Page 133

Home of Samuel Stambauch, on Lititz Pike, one mile north of city, bought by Pennsylvania Railroad in 1882, turned into Union Stockyard Hotel

Home of Nathaniel Burt, 1844, Salisbury – before Revolution was Bull’s Head Tavern kept by James Hamilton, afterwards called the Waterloo, kept by Thomas G. Henderson

Waterloo Tavern sign (LCHS photo 2030823)

Home of William Carpenter, during Revolution home of James Webb, lodging place of Quakers during Revolution (LCHS photo 1010570)

Page 134

Stehli Silk Mill, four photos, 1898, 1925, 1926, 1927

Page 135

Ruins of old factory (three photos) not identified

Humes Mill before burned

House on grounds of old silk mill

Row of buildings, sign E. Lamparter’s Conestoga Glue Factory (LCHS photo 1010428)

Page 136

Notes for page 137

Datestone – WD 1747 (for Samuel Downing’s Mill, Bart Township?)

Page 137

Survivors of Christiana Riot – two photos, one with corn cutter

Christiana Riot house (Parker)

Scene of Christiana Riot (house in ruins)

Buildings at Samuel Downing’s Mill in Bart Township – store

Buildings at Samuel Downing’s Mill in Bart Township – Downing’s house

Buildings at Samuel Downing’s Mill in Bart Township – Blacksmith shop

Page 138

Hotel at west end of Witmer’s Bridge, built and kept by Abraham Witmer

Datestone for Witmer Bridge

Page 139

Witmer’s Bridge – oldest stone arch bridge in U.S.

Datestone for Witmer Bridge (see page 138)

Witmer Hotel?

Rank’s Mill

Springhouse on Rank property

Page 140

Notes on page opposite

Page 141

Ruins of York Furnace bridge

Letter giving information relating to York Furnace bridge

Edge Tool Forge, Fulton Township – George H. Hews (sickle works – Puddle Duck Run)

Page 142

Old Mill, east side of Conestoga Creek, East Lampeter, built by Yost Musser 1763 – sold to Sebastian Groff, sold to city 1888

Binkley’s Bridge, Manheim Township, buildt by Christ Binkley 1789 – first stone arch bridge in country, cost $17,000 – stood until 1867 when a pillar gave way (four photos) (LCHS photo 1030342)

Ferry house of Hnery Dering on west side of Conestoga south side Philadelphia Pike, built by Samuel Bethel – more history noted – destroyed by fire in 1901

Page 143

No photos – information for photos on page 142

Page 144

Old Factory southeast of Lancaster – also shows bridge (LCHS photo 2030730)

Ruins of Old Factory after fire? (LCHS photo 2070415)

Page 145

Humes Woolen Mill – Humesville – notes on history of mill, owner, etc.

Home of John Miller, manager

Historical marker, LCHS, 1918 – land patent to Madame Ferree

Page 146

Demolition of building – two photos – one showing automobile partially covered by wreckage

Page 147

Home of James Wright, Columbia

Wright’s ferry (?) patent procured by John Wright, 1730

Columbia Bridge after the fire, June 28, 1863

Page 148


Account of death of John Hand from August Heinitsh diary

Home of Col. Samuel J. Atlee, the Old Road, Salisbury

Page 149


Rockford with porch removed between 1886 – 1894

Birthplace of Robert Fulton

Birthplace of Col. Reah Frazer, Carpenter Hall

Page 150

Information about photos on opposite page

Page 151

Wabank House – erected on Conestoga at Lock #3, 1854, cost $60,000 – list of stockholders and additional information

Millersville Academy, built 1854 – changed to State Normal School in 1859 – first in PA

Page 152

Portrait, James Buchanan, from campaign picture by Courier, 1856

Tomb of James Buchanan, Woodward Hill Cemetery

Document relating to use of Abbeville as an institution dated Feruary 18, 1835

Notes on history of Abbeville

Page 153

Wheatland (LCHS photo D080330)


Abbeville well

Page 154

Fireback – STIEGEL ELIZABETH FURNACE 1769 – furnace bult by Henry William Stiegel, Manheim, 1762, built by Henry William Stiegel and Alexander Stedman at Elizabeth Furnace in 1757

News clipping “Longenecker Residence Sold”

First windmill in county, built by Rudy Herr

Page 155

Home of Robert Coleman – Stiegel wing to right

Residence of Henry William Stiegel, Manheim

Hardwicke, built by Sebastian Groff, sold to William Coleman April 28, 1824 – taken by Pennsylvania Railroad to build cutoff one mile north of city – 1843 home of James Cameron, Esq. (Print P010327)

Page 156

George Ross House, interior?

House on John Grosh farm, half mile east of Landis Valley Museum

Home, snow, sleigh, southeast corner Chestnut and Charlotte Streets, taken down in 1899

Historical house, New Holland, 1900

Buch Tavern

Page 157

Birthplace of David Ramsay – from pencil sketch (Print P010314)

Birthplace of David Ramsay – Drumore, April 2, 1749, taken down 1890

Home of Lazarus Lowery, came from Ireland 1728, licensed to trade with Indians 1729, Donegal

Home of Col. Alexander Lowery, Donegal, built 1759

Home of Honorable J. H. Brown, Oak Hill, Paradies, built by John Carpenter, 1808

Page 158

Birthplace of Robert Fulton (LCHS photo 2040302 and Print P010319)

Birthplace of Robert Fulton – Robert Fulton, Sr. moved from Lancaster to Little Britain Township in 1765, son born November 14, 1765

Page 159

Birthplace of Robert Fulton – from painting by Robert Fulton Ludlow (see page 25) (LCHS photo 2040305)

Birthplace of Robert Fulton

Harmony Hall near Soudersburg – home of Steeles and Porters

Page 160

Martic Forge, two photos (LCHS 1010307)

Letter relating to Sign of the Three Crowns Tavern, painted by Benjamin West

Page 161

History of Martic Forge and Furnace 1753 to 1804

Martic Forge, two photos

Sign of the Three Crowns – Stevens House, 1959 (LCHS photo 2030824)

Three Crowns Tavern

Page 162

Pencil sketch of Church – the Last Preparations

Unidentified stone building with frame wing

Keeners Mill on Chickies Creek, Rapho Township

Doneagal Spring and Church (LCHS photo 2070126)

Page 163

Pencil sketch of Strasburg Academy, built 1836, 1840 converted into Soldiers’ Orphans Home

Invitation to cotillion party at Massasoit Hall, Strasburg for B. Frank Brenneman and lady

Martin Mylin House, built 1740 – called palace of sandstone, taken down 1900

Sunflower Inn, Bart, on Williamstown Pike

Page 164

Episcopal church interior on estate of Daisy Grubb – endowed to pay salary of minister (two photos) (LCHS photo 2070122) Mt. Hope Episcopal Church?

Informatin relating to photos on opposite page

Page 165

Windsor Forge mansion – 1 mile south of Churchtown, main section built by David Jenkins 1765 (see information on page 164)

Grubb Mansion, Mt. Hope, Penn Township

Charcoal furnace at Mt. Hope – October 22, 1784 – Jacob Graybill sold Peter Grubb 212 and a half acres near head of Chickies Creek on which he built Mt. Hope Furnace

Page 166

Moss Cigar Factory fire, January 11, 1907 (two photos) (LCHS photos 2070234 and 2070235)

Fulton Cotton Mill, destruction by explosion July 13, 1867, built by William Wiley and Co. 1865, southwest corner of Duke and Lemon Streets – rebuilt in 1879 controlled by George Calder Jr. and Co.

Conestoga Furnace, southwest corner of Prince and Furnace Streets

Page 167

Home of George Tomlinson, east of Water works

Sign post 17 IN-KN 35

Safe harbor Rolling Mill, Conestoga built by Reeves, Abbot & Co. 1848

Page 168

Abbeville Mill, one mile west of Lancaster on Columbia Pike and Little Conestoga Creek

Datestone on Abbeville Mill 1767

Covered bridge, not identified

David H. Landis

Page 169

The Practical Farmer hotel, Leman Place, kept by William Reynolds, gradfather of General John Reynolds

Sign – the Practical Farmer 1813 (LCHS photo 1010312)

Home built by James Clemson, 1737, Salisbury

Shreiner, Philip – home – Sawbuck House (see page 199)

Page 170

Indian carvings in Rocks in the Susquehanna

Photographed by David H. Landis

Page 171

Indian carvings – see above – ten photos, two showing people

Page 172

Pennsylvania Railroad bridge over Conestoga east of Lancaster (train on bridge)

Pennsylvania Railroad bridge showing waterworks

Waterworks, photo by David Bachman Landis, 1908

Page 173

Waterworks, photo by David Bachman Landis, 1908

Waterworks, large photo with building only

Large stone home – note says also 186

Page 174

Lancaster County Historical Society, April 1924

Interior of LCHS at 307 North Duke Street, oopened to the public, rear view of auditorium, December 6, 1924

Page 175

LCHS auditorium, front mantle

Picture of old Conestoga Wagon – Amos Gingrich 1929, property of Hager & Bros.

News clipping – German language – pictures/article – First Elephant in Lancaster

Page 176

Stairway of oak ? – Christian Herr House

Page 177

Pool Forge near Churchtown, 1925

Fireplace in Hans Herr House (LCHS photo 1010495)

Page 178

Steinman Home, South Prince Street, Lancaster, 1900 (LCHS photo 2030917)

Rockford 1926

Page 179

City Hall, Greist Building (built 1924), Zahm’s Corner (LCHS photo 2030736)

Aerial view of Lancaster

Strasburg, 1926, Main Street showing birthplace of Thomas Burrowes

Page 180

Ephrata Cloister – showing harvested corn field

Ephrata Cloister – distant view

Page 181

Saron (Sisters’ House), Ephrata Cloister (LCHS photos 1010238 and 2040226)

Low grade railroad bridge near Martic Forge, 1910

Page 182

LCHS outing, August 4, 1925, showing Walter C. Hager, T. Roberts Appel, Cyrus Fox (Reading), members listening to address

LCHS outing – Pool Forge 1925 (two photos)

Pool Forge, 1925

Page 183

LCHS outing – Pool Forge, 1925 – three photos

Page 184

LCHS outing – Pool Forge 1925

T. Roberts Appel at Pool Forge, 1925

Millersville, looking west towards LeTort

Page 185

LCHS outing, home of Harry Landis, June 18, 1927, home barn with antiques, 13,000 books, members (five photos)

LCHS outing, Hessdale, June 30, 1927 – shows old mill, house, members identified are Miss Haldy, Mr. Lippold, Mrs. A., Mr. Beck, Mrs. Landis, Mr. Woerner, Master Beck (three photos)

Page 186

Historical marker – Caledonia Furnace, Franklin County, operated by Thaddeus Stevens

Unveiling marker, 1927 – shown: H. H. Beck, J. W. Lippold, C. H. Martin

Elizabeth Furnace

LCHS at Elizabeth Furnace (two photos)

Abbeville Mill (see page 173)

Page 187

Covered bridge over Chickies Creek at Keener Mill

Witmer’s Bridge, Conestoga Creek (LCHS photo 2070501)

B. F. Davis

Page 188

Statue of James Buchanan, placing wreath at unveiling ceremonies, June 1928, gift from D. L. Buchmiller to Lancaster

Justice J. hay Brown – listening to address at unveiling ceremony of James Buchanan statue

Parade from Hensel hall to Buchanan statue in Buchanan Park, June 1, 1928

Page 189

Committee appointed by Demo. Of Lancaster Count to mark grave of James Buchanan, May 30, 1928 – Mrs. T. Wallace Reilly, Fred Hammond, George W. Hensel Jr., Rev. W. W. Edge D.D., George B. Willson, Daniel Bair (LCHS photo 3110140 – check number)

Marshall College, Mercersburg

Page 190

Old South Duke Street building prior to 1892

News clipping about Mishler’s Beer Garden, 300 block of Howard Avenue

Statue of unidentified man

Page 191

Old mile stone, 9 miles east of Lancaster on Lincoln Highway – 53 mi to P 9 mi to L

Page 192

Cloister – fireplace second floor (LCHS photo 2040238)

Angle view Saal and Saron, showing bell of clock on roof – Cloister (LCHS photo 2040224)

Page 193

Matin Room – Cloister, spinning wheels, straw plaster (LCHS photo 2040233)

Cell, Cloister, wooden bunk, block pillow, plaster between ax hewn timbers (LCHS photo 2040237)

Page 194

Saron 1740 Cloister (LCHS photo 2040225)

Almonry, Saal and Saron, Clositer

Page 195

Stone house adjoining Saron (pump under right end of building, back of fence, Cloister) (LCHS photo 2040227)

Clock mechanism – strikes on hour 1735 Cloister (LCHS photo 2040236)

Page 196

Saron, corner of kitchen with built in copper kettle and stone sink, Cloister (LCHS photo 2040235)

Saron, corner of room, wooden latch/knocker on door, 2 original chairs and jewelers work bench (LCHS photo 2040234)

Page 197

Tomb of John Conrad Beissel, Cloister

Carpet loom, hand operated, Cloister

Page 198

LCHS outing – Valley Forge, May 12, 1928 – group includes Mr. and Mrs. D. B. Landis

LCHS outing – Herbert Beck welcome address at Valley Forge, Hon. A. J. Seyfert

LCHS outing – Judge John M. Groff, speaking at Memorial Chapel – Mary R. Crowel, Miss M. Russell

Page 199

LCHS outing – Valley Forg – front of Memorial Chapel

LCHS outing – Frank Eshleman making a speech, Susan Fraser

LCHS outing – A. K. Hostetter, George W. Hensel Sr., C. H. Martin, Charles Todd, G. J. P. Raub

LCHS outing – C. A. Sauber, Miss Remley, Mrs. Remley, D. F. Magee

Page 200

LCHS outing – chimes, cadets

LCHS outing – Group near chapel

LCHS outing – model of huts used by Continental Army

Page 201

Old Welsh Graveyard, Terre Hill, November 10, 1928

Old Welsh Graveyard, Terre Hill, Gravestone of Judge Edwards

Old Welsh Graveyard, Terre Hill, Gravestone of Gen. Hambright

Old Welsh Graveyard, Terre Hill, three gravestones

Page 202

New railroad station opened to public April 28, 1929 (3 photos)

Page 203

New railroad station opened to public April 28, 1929 – tracks – (3 photos)

Page 204

Historical marker – Swamp Church, September 30, 1929, several persons are identified

Crossing the Alleghenies in 1840 – old portage railroad

Page 205

Sign/entrance to General Sutter Hotel, Lititz (2 photos)

Historical marker, LCHS, John A. Sutter, 1939 (2 photos)

General John Agustus Sutter, at residence in Lititz, 1877

Page 206

LCHS outing, September 14, 1928, Indiantown, Clay Township, on lawn of Michael Eberly – Dr. Henry Bender read paper to members, “Nanticoke Indians in Lancaster County”

LCHS outing – Indiantown, September 14, 1928 – Prof. Herbert Beck addressing the group

Page 207

Old St. John’s Protestant Episcopal Church, Compassville – congregation assembled to celebrate 200the anniversary of founding of the parish, September 28, 1929 – parish organized 1729, building erected 1838-39 – communion service presented to parish 1766 on chancel rail – Edith L. Baldwin, historian

Dining room with set tables (2 identical photos)

Page 208

Mt. Bethel, Columbia – partially demolished 1929

Mt. Bethel, interior cellar archway – se Sunday News November 3, 1929 for additional info

Page 209

Bust of unidentified man

Washington Memorial Chapel, Valley Forge, interior

Penn Square showing monument and Watt and Shand

Page 210

Circular staircase (2 photos)

East King Street – Reigart’s Old Wine Store (see page 72) (LCHS photo 207701)

Page 211

Documents in German

Page 212

Map of Chester County and part of Lancaster County

Page 213

Statue of Stiegel?

Page 214

Penn Square, 1923 – Monument, 5 trolley cars, Hirsh Bros., (LCHS photo 2070706)

Page 215

Historical marker LCHS – memorial Frederick Valentine Melsheimer

Page 216

Hardwicke – newspaper clipping (Print P010327)

Page 217

Isaac Long barn on farm of Jacob Landis where church of the United Brethren was born 1766 – reproduction

Page 218

Document in German – poem (inspirational)

Page 219

Terms and conditions of the Boarding School for Female Education, Lititz

Page 220

Meeting of employees of Stehli Silks Corporation – fourth Liberty Loan, September 30, 1918

Page 221

Harry H. Snavely farm – taken on day Historical Marker on the Martin Mylin gun ship was unveiled (gun shop shown on photo)

Page 222

Will of John Whiteside

Page 223

Document, John Whiteside

Statue of James Buchanan (LCHS photo 3110117 – check number)

Page 224

Witness Tree, Donegal Church, 1927

Page 225

Document in German – Inspirational

Page 226

Indiantown celebration, September 13, 1924 – group (LCHS photo 1010212)

Indiantown celebration, Chief Strong Wolf (2 photos)

Indiantown celebration, Albert Myers, D. H. Landis, A. K. Hostetter, Chief Strong Wolf

Page 229

Curb market, Duke and King Streets (2 photos) (LCHS photos 2060915 and 2060919)

Penn Square 1925 – woman with market baskets (LCHS photo 2030735)

Mennonite girl – no identification

News clipping? Miss Annie C. Grove

Page 230

Trinity Lutheran Church – pulpit – dates 1766 – 1866

Trinity Lutheran Church – organ

Page 231

Drawing by Major John Andre with letter from Thomas P. Cope, Philadelphia, 1851

Page 232

Shoemaker at work, not indentified

Page 233

Shelves with books/artifacts

Colored print of bouquet of flowers

Residence of Henry William Stiegel, Manheim (drawing)

Stiegel’s office, Manheim

Page 234


Book (Latin)

Stone marker

Page 235

Flage – deep green ground – tiger attempting to pass hunger – motto: DO MORI HOLI (2 photos)

Page 236/237

News clipping, Lancaster City, July 3, 1926, New Era

News clipping, southwest corner Penn Square showing Young Republican Club Headquarters, c. 1927

Page 237

Kepler Lodge, Martic Forge – main building – boys standing at attention – American Flag

Page 238

Spanish War Monument, Buchanan Park

Unidentified war memorial

Postlethwaite marker, LCHS, 1915

Gateway to Greenwood Cemetery, South Queen Street, 1895 (LCHS photo 3160109 – check number)

James Buchanan tomb, Woodward Hill Cemetery (see page 152)

Page 239

Stehli Silk Mill, 1926, cafeteria

Sign – Berks County Historical Society

Bookplate – Library, Vermont Historical Society, Frank Reid Diffenderfer, Ex Libris, Walter C. Hager

Page 240

Watercolor – German – flowers – woman – “Beautiful Woman”

Page 241

Shippen School play at Upland Lawn, home of H. S. Williamson, Wheatland Avenue (3 photos) – A Midsummer’s Night Dream

Page 242

Millersville State Normal School – Old Main (similar to LCHS photo D010255)

Millersville State Normal School – lake

Millersville State Normal School – library

Page 243

Lake, park, boats (not identified)

Conestoga Wagon, horses and five people (see page 1) (LCHS photo 2070802)

Page 244

News clipping about lottery announcement


Page 245

Receipts from Farmer’s Bank?

Page 246

Counterfeit cigar stamps

Oaths of allegience

Page 247

Lancaster City Loan notes, 12 ½ cents, 25 cents, 50 cents

Note – 50 cents, signed L. Slaymaker

Name card, Dr. F. S. Burrowes, Strasburg

Name card, John Joseph Henry’s property

Name card, Walter Franklin

Coat of Arms: William Augustus Atlee, Esq.

Page 248

Marietta and Susquehanna Trading Company notes

Stamps, 2 cents, 2 cents, 10 cents

Page 249

Marietta and Susquehanna Trading Company notes

News clipping “Relic of a Lost Cause” – confederate money

Postcard – Fulton souvenir (message side) two cent stamp

Page 250

Columbia Borough Loan notes

Bank of Lancaster notes

Seal, James Buchanan

Page 251

Buchanan medal – Dr. Frederick Rose

Buchanan medal – J. Willson

Page 252

Advent Lutheran Church

Arch to honor Lafayette on visit to Lancaster, July 27, 1825 (see page 257) (LCHS photo D070144)

Page 253

Tombstone – Simon Adam Kuhn, Trinity Lutheran Churchyard

Zion Lutheran Church – interior

Page 254

Stamps – Valley Forge from sheet of 100 first sold at Lancaster Post Office on date of issue, May 26, 1926 – presented by Hon. A. G. Seyfert who bought first sheet

Stock certificate – Conestoga Navagation Company

Sheriff record – payment to Felix Donnley for care and interment of Indians

Page 255

Rates of tool to be collected on the Philadelphia and Lancaster Turnpike Road, Gate No. ?

Ticket to opening of Columbia and Philadelphia Railway

Receipt for payment for shares of stock – Conestoga Navigation Company

Receipt for payment for shares of stock – Susquehanna Canal Office

Way-bill from Port Deposit to Lancaster

Page 256

Receipt for payment for writing instruction – Gideon Brenneman to S. Mason Dr.

Note relating to decorations during Lafayette visit

WELCOME 76 LAFAYETTE – used at Conestoga Center 1825 (print?)

Page 257

Arch to welcome Lafayette (see page 252) (LCHS photo D070144)

First prayer in Congress

German newspaper, June 25, 1798 – John Marshall in Lancaster

Page 258

Invitations to balls – for Miss Michael at various places

Page 259

Postage stamp 25 cents

Book store names, proprietors

Patriotic ribbon – Delegates – Soldiers of War of 1812

Political ribbon – Henry Clay

Receipt for payment of dues by George Steinman

Turnpike ticket, Lancaster, Elizabethtown and Middletown

Newspaper clipping

Decorative card – German script – heart, crown, and cross (baptism?) 1780

Page 260

Tax record

Bounty bond

Page 263

Political ribbon – Abraham Lincoln

Invitation to Lafayette Ball to Mrs. Russell

Photo of keyboard?

50 note – John Urban’s Cross Keys Hotel


Page 264

Lottery tickets

Newspapers announcements related to lottery July 13, 1805

Page 265

Lottery tickets

Page 266

Invitation – cotillion – Slaymaker

Invitation – picnic – Henry E. Slaymaker


Empty envelope – fancy Dem. Ball at Fulton Hall, 1858

Page 267

Portrait – George M. Steinman

Page 268

Letterhead W. H. Watts & Co. Tiles – message

Mantle from American House, Lancaster, torn down July 20, 1912 – on back of mantle: house built 1805 by William Kirkpatrick… John C. Tener, carpenter

Rev. John D. Nevin, D.D. (LCHS photo 2010324)

Page 269

Plan of Lancaster city c. 1852

Page 270

Street plan showing government buildings in Lancaster 1776

Hamilton Grant, grant from original dated 1753

Historical marker, LCHS, First settlement in Lancaster County 1710

Map of the estate of Philip Ferree (from Barr Ferree)

Page 271

Map of Old Conestoga (1715 – 1729)

Statue of man (see page 190?)

Page 272

Petition form John Galbreath to court

Southwest view of Lancaster

Bird’s eye view of Lancaster – Pennsylvania Business College located it?

Loose print in back of album: Portrait of John Piersol McCaskey – 70th birthday, October 9, 1907, presented to LCHS 1908 by S. M. Sener