Collection: The Scrapbook Collection
Call No.: MG-434, Box 027
Title: The Bicentennial of the First Settlement in Lancaster County, 1710-1910
Extent: 1 volume
Creator: William Uhler Hensel, compiler.
Repository: LancasterHistory.org (Lancaster, Pa.)
Description: The scrapbook is composed of William Uhler Hensel’s correspondence from 1910. These letters are responses to Hensel’s invitation to the celebration of the 200th birthday of the first settlement in Lancaster County, near present-day Willow Street. The majority of the letters are handwritten. The book also contains programs describing the events of the celebration and an historical description of the first settlement in 1710.
Conditions for Access: Please fill out a call slip for viewing.
Conditions Governing Reproductions: May not be photocopied. Please contact Research Staff or Archives Staff with questions.
Source of Acquisition: Source unknown.
Related Materials at Lancaster County Historical Society:
Ferree, Barr. William Uhler Hensel: An Appreciation. New York, New York: The Society, 1915.
Hensel, William Uhler. The Christiana Riot and the Treason Trials of 1851: An Historical Sketch. Lancaster, Pennsylvania: The New Era Printing Company, 1911.
MG-76, The William Uhler Hensel Collection, 1870- 1915.
Musser, Wilma I. Village of West Willow, 1710- 1974, Lancaster County Pennsylvania: A History. Lancaster, Pennsylvania: Schaff Library, Lancaster Theological Seminary, 1974.
Related Materials at Millersville University: MS048, Lloyd Mifflin-William Uhler Hensel Letters
Subjects: Hensel, W. U. (William Uhler), 1851-1915.
Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
Lancaster County (Pa.) — History, local.
Administrative/Biographical History: William Uhler Hensel
William Uhler Hensel was born in Quarryville, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania on 3 December 1851. Hensel attended the local public school and a series of private academies before entering Franklin and Marshall College in 1866. Hensel was very active in the school including fraternities and clubs. He graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 1870.
After graduation, Hensel pursued a career in law and studied under Judge Isaac Hiester and David G. Eshleman. In 1873, Hensel was admitted to the Lancaster Bar and established his own practice in Lancaster. While studying law, he became interest in journalism and later maintained a dual career in journalism and law. After opening his law firm, Hensel became the co-owner of the Lancaster Intelligencer and also became editor of the newspaper.Hensel was active in politics and helped in the efforts of the Democratic Party in Lancaster County. He compiled many writings that aided campaigns such as biographies of the Democratic candidates. In 1891, he became the attorney general of Pennsylvania. As one of the founding members of the Lancaster County Historical Society, he wrote many articles for the historical society’s journal that depict the county’s history. Hensel was active in the community by giving lectures and presenting information to societies and clubs throughout Lancaster County. He was also president of the Pennsylvania-German Society.
Hensel married Emily Flinn; they had one daughter named Elizabeth. He practiced law throughout his life and received honorary doctorates from Dickinson College in 1909 and Franklin and Marshall in 1912. Hensel died on 27 February 1915 from cirrhosis of the liver while on vacation in Georgia.
First Settlement in Lancaster County
Lancaster County was officially established in 1729 out of Chester County. The first settlement began in 1709 and was established by Swiss Mennonites in 1710 around the area of present-day Willow Street. Hans Herr was the bishop of the founding group. The Hans Herr House is now the oldest building in Lancaster County dating back to 1719. The original inhabitants of the area included the Susquehannocks (also known as the Conestogas), Shawnee, Gawanese, Delaware, and Nanticoke. Huguenots, Scots-Irish, English, Welsh, and Rhineland Germans settled in Lancaster County after the Swiss Mennonites.
Custodial History: Previously housed in the Scrapbook Collection, Book 175.
Cataloged by: CRB, October 2007.
This project was funded by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, ME60112, 2007-2008.