Will: Phares E. Will Collection

Call number:  MG-332

1 box     5 folders     .25 cubic ft.

Repository:  LancasterHistory.org (Lancaster, Pa.)

Shelving Location:  Archives South, Side 8

Description:  Blacksmith Phares E. Will was better known as P. E. Will. A resident of Penryn, Mr. Will dedicated his life to his profession and his church. This collection contains photocopied records regarding residents of Penryn and  St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, images of tools and the town, and Mr. Will’s obituary.

Creators:  Will, Phares E.; St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Penryn (Pa.)

Conditions for Access:  No restrictions.

Conditions Governing Reproductions:  Collection may not be photocopied. Please contact Research Staff or Archives Staff with questions.

Language:  English

Source of Acquisition:  This collection was donated by George K. Biemesderfer, 29 April 2002.

Note:  Original records are at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Penryn, Pennsylvania.


Folder 1          Record Book

“Events of the past and the present, recorded in this ledger by P. E. Will as he gathered them from old residents of Penryn and vicinity. June 18, 1932. Accidents a specialty.”

Obituary of Phares E. Will.

Images of Mr. Will’s blacksmith shop and residence; J. A. Hoke’s Hotel; D. C. Keath’s Coach Works; Penryn; and Hoke’s Hotel and Square.

Newspaper article. “Blacksmiths and Horses [ __ers] at Penryn.”


Folder 2          Record Book

“P. E. Will recorded all burials as stated. No. 2 Record dates back to May 30, 1928: recorded you find all interments made since said date.”


Folder 3          Record Book

“Old records traced up by P. E. Will of the burials in the Penryn Cemetery, namely the graves without markers. No. 3 Record dates back to old burials and records of long ago as they are gathered from surviving relatives, friends, and neighbors of the deceased.”


Folder 4          Newspaper article. “The Blacksmith Shop of the Olden Times,” by Robert B. Risk. Lancaster Sunday News, 3 August 1924.

Images of items manufactured by P. E. Will and an index identifying the items.


Folder 5          A Record of Incidents which caused the White Oak (St. Paul’s) Lutheran Church to Erect Its Own House of Worship. Compiled by P. E. Will.